Wednesday, December 2, 2020

Covid,College, and grades

 Before the semester started, I already knew I was going to have a difficult time in the beginning because it takes time to adjust with new environments especially takes time to adjust with new environments especially right out of highschool, however with covid and moving most of my classes online it has made it even more challenging. In addition to having to find a device that is able to connect for classes, it is also crucial for students to have stable internet connection. I am grateful that the University of Kentucky gave students Ipads that way at least students had a device but  many students are still  at a disadvantage especially when it comes to the internet. I don't know any personal testimony from other students, but I know that I can say that this semester online has affected my grades in a bad way. I think this is because, for many professors this is the first time teaching online and because of this they don't do a good job. This has caused many instructors to work more, but this does nothing but stress students out especially since most of us are facing struggles such as not being able to find work, or having to care for sick relatives, or being in quarantine themselves. In my graduating class , College was already becoming less appealing because most of us were already turned off by how much debt we had seen friends, family, and teachers go into; and Covid in addition to taking classes at full price only to get online classes that make me feel like i'm not learning much of anything has made it more unappealing than it already was. In my scholarship for first generation and low income students, one of the criteria we must meet to keep our scholarship is to meet for tutoring once a week. At first it sounded very reasonable however when I think about the times my internet went out and I was scrambling to get it back on I realized that maybe this was more of a problem than I thought. Luckily I was able to got to still all of the meetings, however another peer also had internet problems and often was disconnected from zoom meetings. He had also said that it was difficult for him to call in from zoom because his phone was also unreliable. I'm still not sure how many people this affected but the problem is still pretty big considering that this could affect whether or not we get our scholarship. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Covid vaccine

  At first I thought that if a vaccine were to come out the first ones who should get the vaccine would be college students but now that i t...